Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June Gloom?

Our family from the Pacific Northwest is arriving today and I have a bit of bad news for them.  Here in the sun and sand paradise of California, we are experiencing our usual June Gloom.  Yep.  The marine layer builds during the night and by morning we are cloudy and cool.  This morning I went out early to sweep the walk (the rabbits scatter the mulch around, with glee, I am sure, each night), and found everything as damp as if it had rained.  Now, I know what’s coming in a few weeks. Heat wave!  So I don’t mind this pause in our summer weather.  But if you are from Washington State, heading to Southern California, you want sun!!  I know my sister, who grew up here, is imagining herself right now laying on a beach towel, feet digging into the hot sand while the muffle of shouting kids, laughter, waves breaking, gulls calling and oldies music on someone’s radio transporting her back to the late fifties!
I have other activities planned to distract them from the cloudy sky.  We will cook together, we will look at old pictures, and share the new ones we’ve taken with our phones, we will relive the old family stories, walk around the farmer’s market, go to the movies.  And we will still go to the beach.  It may be a little cool yet;  we’ll wear our sweatshirts.  But we will look for shells and walk along the edge of the Pacific, scooting in and out of the foam.   And I have downloaded the Drifters, for the sounds of the fifties to keep us company.  Up On The Roof, On Broadway, Under The Boardwalk…

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the June Gloom weather! I noticed that we started the day at the same temperature today - we never got much beyond 68 degrees though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our June began very rainy and gloomy and I was not pleased. End of the year in the rain equals grumpy teacher. The sun has now shown its face and the sky is blue again. My mood has greatly improved. Welcome late spring. You can stick around for awhile it you like, we won't complain.

    ReplyDelete